<$BlogRSDURL$>

writing when I should be sleeping

Monday, June 07, 2004

A little about my MBA application

Yay. My webcounter is gonna reach 3 digits!!!! Although about 90% are my own views. muahhahahahha. Okie, I should write a little on my MBA application promised. First, applied for MBA at MBS in April 03. I thought if I am offered a place, I would save the one year doing my honours year in NUS. Took me a month of intensive work to get my application ready. E.g Write essays, get referees and get all necessary transcripts verified. Now back to the GMAT everyone is worried about. Before the test, I did quite a bit of research but could not fathom why everyone was worried about a test essentially to gauge your general skills and abilities. Was pretty spooked by the ppl who said they studied 2 years, but true to my nature, registered for the first test date I could locate which was a weeks time from registration. I just downloaded the test prep from their site and spent three days doing the questions. End result: 32 for verbal and 49 for quant, with a total score of 680. Not too far from my pratice scores. So maybe I could have easily add another 50-100 to my score with another month of practice but I reckon my score was enough for the schools I was interested in. Just in case you are interested, I scored a 5.0 in my AWA. So from my point of view, its bullshit that says you need years and months of practice to do the GMAT. Even I who have not touched maths for more than 6 years managed a 49 which is 91 percentile. Could have done a better job with my verbal though......

I got fantastic referees from my boss and lecturers but end result was---> I got a ding. I did receive a place and scholarship in a U.S. university but it was kinda.......obscure..... plus it was not a full scholarship, so I pass. Was just a bit disappointed. After all, I spent a month of intensive work crafting out my application. But life goes on, I changed my plans to finishing my honours year, get a job in a MNC before reapplying 2 years later. Its my dream to do an MBA and I plan on doing it be it earlier or later.

But guess what, I received a call this year in Jan from the school saying that someone withdrawn in the last minute and that they have a place for me provided I fly there within two weeks. Boy was I excited. But after consulting with my prof, family and boss, I reckon I have too many commitments to fly off on such short notice.

It took me all my resolve to write the rejection email but I asked if I could do a deferment. The answer was "No", I have to reapply. After thinking it thru and heartened by the fact that I at least made it to the reserve list the last time round, I reapplied. And I got in. Yeah!!!!!!

So the moral of the story is: Believe in yourself. Go for your dreams and never say die! Wooohooo heading off to Melbourne for their class of '06.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?